Religion and Ecology
Sponsored by the Religion and Ecology Unit
From Yale University's Forum on Religion and Ecology -- Annotated Bibliographies:
Religion and Reproductive Rights
Sponsored by the Status of Women in the Profession Committee, and the Women and Religion Unit
Organizations and websites addressing religion and reproductive rights:
Select Bibliography on Abortion Rights, Freedom, Reproductive Justice and the Christian Tradition
- Albrecht, Gloria. 2002. “Abortion in Good Faith.” Church and Society. November/December: 21-31.
- Armstrong, Amaryah Shaye. 2020. "Surrogate Flesh: Race, Redemption, and the Cultural Production of Fetal Personhood." Journal of Ecumenical Studies 55.4: 518-543.
- Beattie, Tina. 2010. "Catholicism, Choice and Consciousness: A Feminist Theological Perspective on Abortion." International Journal of Public Theology 4.1: 51-75.
Bechtel, Daniel R. 1993. "Women, Choice, and Abortion: Another Look at Biblical Traditions." Prism 8.1: 74-89.
- Bond, Toni M. 2020. "Faithful Voices: Creating a Womanist Theo-Ethic of Reproductive Justice." PhD diss., Claremont School of Theology.
- Castuera, Ignacio. 2017. “A Social History of Christian Thought on Abortion: Ambiguity vs. Certainty in Moral Debate.” American Journal of Economics and Sociology 76.1: 121–227.
- Cooper, Thia. 2016. "Race, Class, and Abortion: How Liberation Theology Enhances the Demand for Reproductive Justice." Feminist Theology 24.3: 226-244.
- Dirks, Doris Andrea and Patricia A. Relf. 2017. To Offer Compassion: A History of the Clergy Consultation Service on Abortion. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.
Dombrowski, Daniel A. and Robert John Deltete. 2000. A Brief, Liberal, Catholic Defense of Abortion. Urbana: University of Illinois Press.
Dunnett, Dolores E. 1990. "Evangelicals and Abortion." Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 33.2: 215-225.
- Dunstan, G.R. 1984. "The moral status of the human embryo: a tradition recalled." Journal of medical ethics 10.1: 38-44.
- Eggebroten, Anne, ed. 1994. Abortion: My Choice, God's Grace: Christian Women Tell Their Stories. Pasadena, Ca.: New Paradigm.
- Ellison, Linda. 2008. "Abortion and the Politics of God: Patient Narratives and Public Rhetoric in the American Abortion Debate." ThD diss. Harvard University.
- Gebara, Ivone. 1995. "The abortion debate in Brazil: A report from an ecofeminist philosopher under siege." Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion 11.2: 129-135.
- Graff, C. 2017. The Religious Right to Therapeutic Abortions. George Washington Law Review 85.3: 954-992.
- Haffner, Debra. 2015. "A Time to Embrace: Why the Sexual and Reproductive Justice Movement Needs Religion." Religious Institute. http://religiousinstitute.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/1-Time_to_Embrace_Color.pdf.
- Haker, Hille. 2006. "Reproductive Autonomy in Light of Responsible Parenthood." Harvard Divinity Bulletin 34.1: 44-52.
- Harrison, Beverly Wildung. 1983. Our Right to Choose: Toward a New Ethic of Abortion. Boston: Beacon.
- Jung, Patricia Beattie. 1988. “Abortion and Organ Donation: Christian Reflections on Bodily Life Support.” Journal of Religious Ethics 16.2: 273-305.
- Kissling, Frances. 2005. “Is There Life after Roe? How To Think About the Fetus.” Conscience; Washington XXV, no. 3.
- Kamitsuka, Margaret D. 2019. Abortion and the Christian Tradition: A Pro-choice Theological Ethic. Westminster John Knox.
- Leath, Jennifer. 2014. "(Out of) Places, Please! Demystifying Opposition to Procreative Choice in Afro-Diasporic Communities in the United States." Journal of Feminist Studies in Religion 30.1: 156-165.
Maguire, Daniel C. ed., 2003. Sacred rights: the case for contraception and abortion in world religions. Oxford University Press.
Maguire, Marjorie Reiley. 1985. "Personhood, Covenant, and Abortion." American Journal of Theology & Philosophy 6.1: 28-46.
- Mistry, Zubin. 2015. Abortion in the Early Middle Ages, C. 500-900. Woodbridge, Suffolk: York Medieval.
- Moskowitz, L., 2018. “God Is a Women: Feminism as a Religion Protected under the Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment.” Am. UJ Gender Soc. Pol'y & L. 27: 223-254.
- Moultrie, Monique. 2017. "# BlackBabiesMatter: Analyzing Black Religious Media in Conservative and Progressive Evangelical Communities." Religions 8.11: 255. https://doi.org/10.3390/rel8110255.
- Müller, Wolfgang. 2012. The Criminalization of Abortion in the West: Its Origins in Medieval Law. Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press.
- Nicholson, Susan T. 1978. Abortion and the Roman Catholic Church. Knoxville, Tenn.: Religious Ethics.
- Palm, Selina. 2019. “A Long Walk to Reproductive Freedom: Reconceiving Theologies of Abortion in South Africa.” In Reconceiving reproductive health: Theological and Christian ethical reflections, edited by Manitza Kotzé, Nadia Marais & Nina Müller van Velden, pp. 219-46. Capetown, South Africa: AOSIS.
- Peters, Rebecca Todd. 2018. Trust Women: A Progressive Christian Argument for Reproductive Justice. Boston: Beacon.
- Reinhardt-Simpson, Autumn. 2016, "Theology Outside the Clinic." CrossCurrents 66.4: 501-519.
- Ruether, Rosemary Radford. 2008. "Women, Reproductive Rights and the Catholic Church." Feminist Theology 16.2: 184-193.
- Rush, V. S. 2019. “Religious Freedom and Self-Induced Abortion.” Tulsa Law Review 54.3: 491-526.
- Schlesinger, Kira. 2017. Pro-Choice and Christian: Reconciling Faith, Politics, and Justice. Louisville, Ky.: Westminster John Knox.
- Simmons, Paul. 1996. “Biblical Authority and the Not-So Strange Silence of Scripture about Abortion.” Christian Bioethics 2.1: 66-82.
- Smith, Andrea. 2005. “Beyond Pro-Choice Versus Pro-Life: Women of Color and Reproductive Justice.” NWSA Journal 17.1: 119-140.
- Steffen, Lloyd H. 1994. Life/Choice: The Theory of Just Abortion. Cleveland, Oh.: Pilgrim.
- Tauer, Carol A. 1995. "Abortion: Embodiment and Prenatal Development." In Embodiment, Morality, and Medicine, edited by Lisa S. Cahill and Margaret Farley, 75-92. Dordrecht: Neth. and Boston, Mass.: Kluwer Academic.
- Traina, Cristina L.H. 2018. "Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Unwanted Pregnancy, Mercy, and Solidarity." Journal of Religious Ethics 46.4: 658-681.
- Ward, Roy Bowen. 1993. "The Use of the Bible in the Abortion Debate." Louis U. Pub. L. Review 13: 391-408
- Wennberg, Robert N. 1985. Life in the Balance: Exploring the Abortion Controversy. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans.
- Whitten-Andrews, Jeanie. 2018. "Calling for a Pro-Love Movement: A Contextualized Theo-Ethical Examination of Reproductive Health Care and Abortion in the United States." Feminist Theology 26.2: 147-159.