The Status of People with Disabilities in the Profession Committee (PWD) invites members of the American Academy of Religion to participate in four webinars designed to enhance competency in teaching topics related to disability as well as enhance accessibility in the classroom. Participants will learn from content experts and engage one another in dialogue around disability-conscious pedagogy.
Members who participate in all four webinars will be receive an AAR/Committee on the Status of People with Disabilities in the Profession Certificate in Inclusive Pedagogy, which will be accessible through their member profile. Recordings of workshops will be made available below to those who cannot attend synchronously. Certificates will be awarded to those who participate in all four workshops (either live or recorded) and complete evaluations of each.
- Anyone can watch the video regardless of membership status, but only AAR members will be available to receive an AAR Certificate in Inclusive Pedagogy.
- To earn a certificate, members must watch all four webinars either live or recorded and complete their accompanying surveys.
- You will be asked to register during the webinar videos in order to receive the surveys.
- If you are an AAR member, please include your name and the email associated with your AAR membership when asked to register to watch the video.
- Once you've watched the video and registered, email [email protected] and request a link to the survey. After we've verified your registration, you will receive the survey link within several business days.
- Once an AAR member has completed the survey, their attendance will be reflected in their membership record.
- After all four webinars have been viewed and the evaluation surveys have been completed, a certificate will be available for download by the AAR member.
Schedule of Webinars
March 23, 2022 | 1-2 PM EST: "Inclusive Pedagogy Webinar #1: Universal Design for Learning in Theological Education"
- In this webinar, participants will learn the basic principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) as they relate to educators working in theological and religious education. The webinar will include discussions of syllabi and assessment development guided by UDL, as well as relevant resources that can support the integration of UDL into attendees’ current contexts.
July 27, 2022 | 1-2 PM EST: "Inclusive Pedagogy Webinar #2: Choosing Our Words Carefully"
- In this webinar, participants will discuss the evolution of language around disability, navigating language that is now considered inappropriate, as well best practices for referring to people with disabilities in our teaching and interactions. Resources on appropriate language, including style guides, will be provided.
September 28, 2022 | 1-2 PM EST: "Inclusive Pedagogy Webinar #3: How to Meaningfully Integrate Non-Dominant Voices into our Syllabi"
- In this webinar, participants will learn to audit their syllabi to make them more inclusive of varied perspectives and voices. Resources on disability will be provided for various topics and domains within theological and religious education, including in the inter-religious resources.
November 2, 2022 | 1-2 PM EST: "Inclusive Pedagogy Webinar #4: How to Incorporate Activist Learning in the Classroom"
- In this webinar, participants will learn how to incorporate activist voices and practices related to disability into their teaching. Participants will learn how to help their students become leaders and allies within the disability community.