The Status of People with Disabilities in the Profession Committee (PWD) invites members of the American Academy of Religion to participate in four webinars designed to enhance competency in teaching topics related to disability as well as enhance accessibility in the classroom. Participants will learn from content experts and engage one another in dialogue around disability-conscious pedagogy.
Members who participate in all four webinars will be receive an AAR/Committee on the Status of People with Disabilities in the Profession Certificate in Inclusive Pedagogy, which will be accessible through their member profile. Recordings of workshops will be made available to those who cannot attend synchronously. Certificates will be awarded to those who participate in all four workshops (either live or recorded) and complete evaluations of each.
Schedule of Webinars
- March 23, 2022 | 1-2 PM EST: “Universal Design for Learning in Theological Education”
- In this webinar, participants will learn the basic principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) as they relate to educators working in theological and religious education. The webinar will include discussions of syllabi and assessment development guided by UDL, as well as relevant resources that can support the integration of UDL into attendees’ current contexts.
- July 27, 2022 | 1-2 PM EST: “Choosing Our Words Carefully: Using Language in the Classroom”
- In this webinar, participants will discuss the evolution of language around disability, navigating language that is now considered inappropriate, as well best practices for referring to people with disabilities in our teaching and interactions. Resources on appropriate language, including style guides, will be provided.
- September 28, 2022 | 1-2 PM EST: “Beyond Stereotyping: How to Meaningfully Integrate Non-Dominant Voices into our Syllabi”
- In this webinar, participants will learn to audit their syllabi to make them more inclusive of varied perspectives and voices. Resources on disability will be provided for various topics and domains within theological and religious education, including in the inter-religious resources.
- November 2, 2022 | 1-2 PM EST: “Beyond Pity: How to Incorporate Activist Learning in the Classroom”
- In this webinar, participants will learn how to incorporate activist voices and practices related to disability into their teaching. Participants will learn how to help their students become leaders and allies within the disability community.