Award for Best In-Depth Newswriting on Religion
Deadline: February 28.
Award: First place $1,000; second place $500; third place $250. (Second and third place awarded at discretion of judges.)
- News articles, columns, editorials, and other opinion writing in print media of any size or in Web-based media.
- Three to five articles published during the previous calendar year, January 1 through December 31. Not less than three articles and not more than five may be submitted per entry.
- Any topic related to religion.
- Writing should include a historical, explanatory, or contextual approach to the subject matter, using research or perspectives of scholars.
- Writing for general audiences preferred.
- Writing on a diversity of topics (across traditions or within a single tradition) preferred.
- You should be the sole author, except that one of the articles may have multiple bylines or credits, provided that you identify the article and state that you did most of the writing.
- Non-English language articles, including those published outside North America, acceptable if translated into English. Copies of original articles must be included with submission.
- Sidebars acceptable as part of an article or may be entered as a separate article.
- Articles from a series acceptable, though other eligibility items should be considered: not less than three and not more than five articles per entry, and writing on a diversity of topics preferred.
Entry fee: (USD) $25 per entry.
Judges: Current and former journalists, plus a representative from the AAR’s Committee on the Public Understanding of Religion, which oversees the contest.
Online Entry Form
To submit your entry, please complete the Online Entry Form by February 28. (Online submissions only; mailed submissions are no longer accepted.)
- Remove all identifiers from articles — bylines, photo credits, publication names, etc. — except headlines and dates published.
- Upload one document (Word, PDF, or text file) containing all articles in your submission. Online Entry Form
- Pay (USD) $25 entry fee by credit card: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.
Contest questions: Shani Settles at email@example.com or 1-404-727-2286.