With more than 10,000 members, the American Academy of Religion (AAR) is the world’s largest organization serving teachers, scholars, and other professionals in the field of religion. AAR members are affiliated with institutions of higher education, and are also media and publishing professionals, clergy, independent scholars, high school teachers, and non-profit community workers. The professional diversity of the AAR’s membership reflects the substantial and growing role religion plays in the lives of individuals and communities as well as social, political, and economic events worldwide.
Membership in the AAR provides you with a spectrum of opportunities to both enrich your professional life and contribute to the field.
- Connect with scholars in the field by attending the Annual and Regional Meetings at deep discounts.
- Search for fellow members using the Membership Database online.
- Attend professional development workshops specially designed to assist you at every level of your career.
- Help to shape the AAR by volunteering to serve on committees, task forces, and other leadership groups.
- Answer the urgent call from journalists, public policy makers, and your fellow citizens who rely on our community to foster the public understanding of religion.
- Gain access to AAR print and online publications like the Journal of the American Academy of Religion (JAAR), Religious Studies News (RSN), and the monthly e-bulletins for the latest scholarship and news.